Are you worried about seeing white patches on your skin? Do you want to know why there are white patches on your skin? Vitiligo is a medical condition that causes white patches to appear on your skin. This can affect any location on your body and these white patches appear mostly on the hands, face, back, and other parts of the body.
What Is A White Patch On Skin?
Vitiligo or white patches are formed on your skin if the cells that make pigments known as melanocytes are destroyed from certain areas of the skin. These areas will tend to develop white patches and it can also appear in different parts of the body.
The white patches can also appear on the tissues inside the mouth or the nose as well as in the retina. The hair that grows on the skin where there are white patches might also turn to white instead of your normal hair color. The exact reason for the destruction of the melanocytes cell is not known. Normally, Vitiligo disease affects people of all races equally. But, it is found to affect people with dark skin more than normal skin people.
Causes Of White Patches On Skin
The white patches that you see on the skin are a very common medical condition that arises from a variety of causes that ranges from fungal infections to deficiency of vitamins in the body.
White Patches Due To Skin Conditions
Eczema and psoriasis are the two most common types of skin conditions that cause white patches on the skin.
- If you are affected by psoriasis, the patches would be red in color and it will have an outer layer of silvery scales that makes these patches appear white.
- People who suffer from psoriasis white patches could be having a strong family history or have a prior history of psoriasis.
- White patches on the skin due to Eczema can happen to any person but is more likely to occur in people who are affected by asthma or allergies.
- It causes scaly and itchy rashes on the skin that would finally end up causing white patches on the skin.
White Patches Due To Fungal Infection
- Tinea versicolor is a type of skin condition that causes white patches on the skin by a fungus.
- Tinea versicolor white patches are usually seen in the chest area or the back area and would also look more pronounced.
- If the skin is not tanned, then these patches would appear pink or light brown in color
- The fungus would be living on the skin and will cause skin changes when you undergo certain extreme factors like excessive sweating, a decrease in immunity, and hormonal changes. These fungi can be treated using over-the-counter anti-fungal medications or natural remedies.
- The deficiency of vitamin B12 can cause white patches to appear on your skin.
- B12 deficiency can cause neurological problems and hence it is very important for you to seek the advice of a doctor once you spot white spots or patches on your skin.
- B 12 deficiency is seen commonly in people with pernicious anemia or in people who are long-term vegans.
White Patches Due To Depigmentation
- White patches on the skin mostly occur due to de-pigmentation or vitiligo where the skin loses its pigments in certain areas. These depigmented areas lead to the development of the white patchy area.
- It is believed that this condition is caused due to autoimmunity, but there are no solid proofs to prove this.
- There are no treatments for vitiligo, but you can undergo treatments and natural therapies to improve its appearance.
Other Common Causes
Some of the other common causes of white patches appearing on the skin can be attributed to:
- Too much intake of junk food
- Sudden emotional stress
- Development of toxins inside your body that will result in autoimmunity
- Pesticides and insecticides sprayed on green vegetables
- Use of excessive antibiotics
- Improper health hygiene and no control over food
- If you have a history of typhoid or jaundice
Symptoms Of Skin White Patches
People who suffer from skin white patches would find that the most common areas where the white patches appear on their skin are the places where their body is exposed to the sun. These areas of the body include:
Some of the other common areas where you would see white patches are:
- Groin area
The fewer blood circulation areas are where the white patches on the skin appear. Actually, Vitiligo is symptomless and these white patches that you see on your skin are its symptoms and you need to visit your doctor immediately once you spot white patches. Some of the other symptoms that you would see are:
- Premature greying of eyelashes and eyebrows
- Premature greying of scalp hair and beard
Vitiligo pattern appears in any of the three patterns given below:
- Generalized pattern: This is the most common pattern that is seen in most people. The loss of pigmentation will be clearly seen symmetrically on both sides of the body.
- Focal Pattern: This type of white patch symptom is seen in certain areas of the body, limited to just one or two areas, of the body.
- Segmental Pattern: If you see de-pigmentation that is one on side of the body and white patches do not appear on the other side of the body, then this type of white patch symptom is known as the segmental pattern symptom.
Does White Patch Spread?
Focal pattern and segmental pattern white patches do not spread to other parts of the body and are localized in a particular part of the body. There is no way to prove that generalized white patches will spread. The white patches medical condition is progressive and would spread to other parts of the body over time but not suddenly.
In most cases, the spreading of white patches occurs over the years but in a few rare cases, the white patches spread rapidly. This is seen in people who suffer from severe emotional and physical strain and stress.
Remedies To Get Rid of White Patches On Skin
The white patches on the skin are very unpleasant to look at. There are a lot of people who lose their self-esteem and confidence to move among people with white patches. There is nothing to get worried about as there are a few home remedies to beat white patches on the skin. If you are looking for tips on how to get rid of white patches on the skin, then you need to read on.
Turmeric is an ingredient that has hordes of antiseptic properties.
- Add a mixture of turmeric powder and a couple of teaspoons of mustard oil and apply it to the areas where you see white patches on your body. It will help in boosting your immune system.
- If there are a lot of areas in your body where you see white patches, then you need to increase the quantity of oil and turmeric powder accordingly. Apply this mixture to your skin twice daily.
- You need to use this continuously for a year to see visible and effective results.
Neem is used to treat a lot of skin problems and it is said that it is a very good remedy for treating autoimmune disorders.
- All you need to do is to make a good powder of the dried leaves of the neem tree along with its dried flowers and fruits.
- You need to take one teaspoon of this powder mixed with a glass of water every day. It helps to fight immunity disorders and thereby helps in reducing white patches on your skin.
- You can also make a fresh paste of the neem leaves with a little bit of water and apply it to the affected area. You need to rinse it off after ten to fifteen minutes. This remedy will greatly help in reducing white spots if used on a regular basis.
The anti-fungal property in honey will take care of the fungus that causes the white patches on your skin. It will help your skin to glow and to retain its normal color. You need to first clean the affected area of your skin with soap and lukewarm water and then pat the area dry.
Apply liquid honey on to the affected area and allow it to get absorbed by the skin fully to see good results after a few weeks or months of application.
Special Home Remedy Pack
One of the best answers on how to get rid of white patches on skin is to add two tablespoons of home with a teaspoon of sandalwood paste, turmeric powder, rice powder and apply it to the affected area of your skin.
Let it be on your skin for 10 to 12 minutes and then you can wash the mixture off. You will see a reduction in the white spots after regular use for a few months.
One of the best ways to boost your immune system is to drink water from copper vessels and glasses. You need to take a copper vessel and pour drinking water in the vessel and leave it to react with copper overnight.
The water will be infused with copper ions in the morning and drinking this water on an empty stomach will help in the production of melanin such that skin pigmentation is corrected.
Holy Basil Oil
One of the most effective oils to treat ugly white spots and patches is holy basil oil. All you need to do is to apply a generous amount of oil to the affected area of the skin. You can also boil basil leaves in water and add turmeric powder to it.
This water mixture can be used to wash the affected area of your skin and wash it after bringing it to room temperature.
You need to consume lots of raw figs daily for a month or two. This is the answer to your problem of how to get rid of white patches on the skin as it helps in purifying the blood as well as improving blood circulation. Also, apply the powdered form of dry figs mixed with water to the affected areas to get relief from white patches on the skin.
Extract the juice of cabbage from fresh cabbage leaves and apply it to the affected area, leave it there for about ten to fifteen minutes and then rinse it off with lukewarm water. This will help in reducing white patches on the skin.
In some people, indigestion causes the development of white patches. Having a regular intake of vitamin B will help to eliminate the indigestion problem and also eliminates white patches.
Practicing relaxation techniques to reduce stress will help in getting rid of white patches. Omega 3 fatty acids help in stress reduction and thereby reduce the problem of white patches. Include food items that are rich in omega 3 fatty acids like fish in your diet.
Vitamins C improves the immunity of the body to infections and hence are good in maintaining the skin. Consumption of fruits and vegetables containing vitamin C helps in proper digestion and reduces the risk of white patches. You can also apply the juices of fruits containing vitamin to the affected areas of the skin.
Reducing Exposure To The Sun
Exposure to sun rays can cause white patches on the skin. If you already have white patches it is necessary that you avoid exposure to sun rays. This is because the white patches are more susceptible to sunburns as they do not have melanin to protect the skin. Wear full sleeve clothes or use umbrellas while going out in the sun.
Sunscreens help to prevent damage to the skin caused by exposure to sun rays. Applying branded good-quality sunscreens with SPF of more than 15 will be useful to reduce white patches as well as tanning caused by sun rays.
Avoid Exposure To Chemicals
Exposure to certain chemicals can cause white patches in some people. Avoiding contact with chemicals like detergents or any other household chemicals for prolonged periods causes the white patches. It seems the melanin pigments in the skin get destroyed by prolonged exposure to chemicals.
Are you worried about white patches on your skin? Do you need quick remedy tips to reduce the effects of white patches on the skin? Try out the above-mentioned home remedies and see which of the remedies work on your skin.