E-Commerce is becoming the most important way to earn money in today’s time. You manufacture your own stuff or buy them from wholesale, and then sell them online. The profits are great and the scope is vast. You have a wide audience from all corners of not only your country but across the globe.
There are big players and small players in every Business and the same thing applies to E-Commerce too. Companies like Amazon, Flipkart, Snapdeal and eBay earns hundreds and thousands on dollars/rupees every single second. Inspired by this many people have setup their own e-shopping websites where they can sell various items worldwide.
Online shopping basically includes (in short) the following steps :-
- The Business Plan
- Choosing a Business Structure
- Choosing the Products you will Sell
- Building Inventory
- Choosing a Domain name
- Building the Website
- Setting up the Shopping Cart
- Launching, Advertising and Marketing
- Maintaining the Business
- Increase and Expand as per the Requirement and/or Demand
Now that we have talked about which all steps one has to take in order to start a successful online business, let’s talk about which all e-commerce platforms are available today.
Some of the most popular software scripts are as following (random order) :-
- Open Cart
- Zen Cart
Every shopping site software listed above is great. Each has its own list of pluses and minuses. But one thing is common and that is awesome support from the creators and the community in general.
I personally have worked on a couple of them. Ok ok I’ve tried all of them to be very frank. Some are hard and some extremely simple to use and work upon. For me the best ones are Shopify and WooCommerce. I will let you know why I made this decision.
Shopify is paid whereas WooCommerce is free to use. Both of them are AWESOME! But here the winner is clearly Shopify with its in built plugins, shopping cart, payment gateway, various themes and then some more. These things are also available for WooCommerce but the quality is vastly different.
Advantages of using Shopify
People just love using it. Let’s do it point wise :-
- Built in Speed and Security for Hosting – You don’t have to worry about the speed of the website or security or even hosting. It all comes inbuilt with the package you choose. This makes it a great all in one solution.
- Customer Support – As it is a paid service so you are assured of great Customer Support at all times. They have one of the best customer care officials you can find who are always there to help you whenever needed.
- Marketing – There are so many online stores today but what is the use of owning one when you don’t have any visitors! This is where Shopify excels even more. SEO plugins, ability to create Landing Pages and more. You can find 100’s more in the marketplace and increase the functionality of your store as and when required.
- Marketplace – Themes, Plugins and what not. A great place to find various stuff to increase the functionality of your online store. Some of them are free and others paid. You will almost find everything you need for a successful store.
But… there are a few cons too. Just 4 to be precise.
Pricing – Everything great doesn’t comes free. No? It’s the same here too. You want it, you need to pay for it. Credit Card processing is a bit costlier. But what you get in return outshines it completely.
No Blog System – Sadly it doesn’t have the Blog option. With it you can write articles on topics related to your website, which can bring in more visitors your way through search engines.
Themes – Readymade themes are available and they are very good indeed. But if you want to design yourself or do some major modifications then you need to learn it as theming here is not as easy like other platforms – PHP and so on.
Terminology – The terms here are somewhat different than what you’ll find at other places. For example Categories are called as Collections. It’s not a big thing, but you will have to learn them to remember.
WooCommerce For WordPress
WooCommerce is FREE! The main thing to consider it, right? No. It is free that doesn’t means that it not good. In fact it’s one of the most popular e-commerce software on planet Earth. I’m also using it on my website and also used it for a few clients too. Most of my clients choose Shopify due to the reasons listed above.
You will find an amazing collection of Plugins and Themes for WordPress and WooCommerce. You will also find even more designers and developers for WordPress, online as well as offline.
WooCommerce installs just like any other WordPress plugin and you can setup accordingly. The software will instruct you and tell you how to set it up properly. You can also read the documentation and learn all about it.
So What To Use – Shopify or WooCommerce?
It depends on your needs and budget. Though WooCommerce is free but you need a domain and web space to host it. Whereas Shopify comes with all in one package. Though you will need to upgrade or get plugins for more features. But again the same thing applies to WooCommerce too.
If you have the budget and want to go with the more straight-forward approach to set up an online website then Shopify is a better option. Plus, it includes payment gateway and customer support.
Whichever you choose you will have to learn the basics about how to work in both the environments. Both are equally good and very effective. You will not feel bad after choosing any one of the two.
ClassicBuzz recommends them both. One Free and One Paid.
Do let us know in the comments which of the two you chose – Shopify or WooCommerce.
Thanks for reading.
Originally posted 2017-04-03 09:29:54.